At a certain point of a new lifestyle, you find yourself eating many of the same things, getting bored of foods you once loved, and yearning for some new options. This twist on an old favourite has got my keto-senses tingling, and my tummy rumbling. This delicious hot asperagus salad is famous in my fiancé’s family, and for good reason; it is delicious! There are several variations you can make, but this one is the most keto-friendly, with a variety of different fiber options and plenty of valuable nutrients.
Keto-Friendly Asparagus, Broccoli, Brussels Sprout & Pancetta Salad
- 2 cups brussels sprouts, quartered
- 1 large broccoli crown, separated into bite-sized florets
- 1 bunch of asparagus, whole
- 200g pancetta, diced*
- 2 tablespoons of infused olive oil (garlic & basil are my favourite)
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 cup of shredded mozzarella or swiss cheese*
- salt & pepper & spice to taste
*make sure these are fresh and carb-free versions, without additives
- Heat the pan.
- Coat pan with half of the oil.
- Put vegetables in pan.
- Add the remaining oil and the seasoning (salt, pepper, spices).
- Sprinkle half of pancetta into the pan.
- Cook on medium-high with the lid on for a few minutes.
- Sprinkle the remaining pancetta and the butter into the pan.
- Mix to make sure everything is well coated with the oil and pancetta juices.
- Cover. Cook until vegetables are cooked throughout.
- Before serving, sprinkle shredded cheese over the vegetables and cover until cheese has melted.
Nutritional Stats & Variations
The ratios below are for the entire recipe (meant to serve 8), which means that each serving has under 3 grams of sugar (entirely natural from the veggies).
- 103 grams of protein
- 127 grams of healthy fats
- 90 grams of carbs
- 41 grams of fiber
- 22 grams of sugar, entirely from veggies
This is a great side-dish filled with good fiber, and plenty of potassium, calcium, iron, vitamins A & C, and a respectable amount of sodium. Pairs well with salmon covered in hollandaise sauce. For a dairy-free option, swap the butter for extra olive oil, and omit the cheese. For a vegan option, omit the butter, cheese & pancetta, swap some sprouts for extra broccoli and add some pumpkin seeds for added protein to your meal.