Following the ketogenic lifestyle really involves some serious willpower to stay away from sugar, and the easiest way to do that is to steer clear of the concept of dessert. As you become fat adapted, it is completely acceptable to treat yourself to a dessert every once in a while on special occasions, as long as it doesn’t have any processed sugar and the least natural sugars possible. By the time you are fat adapted, your sweet tooth is gone anyway so you enjoy it that much more without sugar. I put together a keto-friendly chocolate mug cake, and it was delicious!
Keto-Friendly Chocolate Cake Dessert
- 1/4 cup heavy whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons coconut flour
- 1/2 tablespoon of cacao powder (different from cocoa!)
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 egg
- coconut oil to grease the mug
- Melt the coconut oil in the mug and swish it around until at least the bottom half is greased .
- In a separate bowl, mix the coconut flour, cacao powder, and baking powder.
- Pour the dry ingredients into the mug.
- Add the egg and cream and whisk until thoroughly mixed.
- Microwave for 90 seconds.
Nutritional Stats & Variations
At 1 gram of sugar per serving, this is a great keto-friendly dessert to keep that sugar craving at bay. The benefit of the single-serving preparation ensures you don’t over indulge, because this dish is delectable! The cacao powder also offers a good source of magnesium, potassium, and is loaded with antioxidants.
- 9 grams of protein (10%)
- 36 grams of healthy fats (77%)
- 13 grams of carbs (13%)
- 6 grams of fiber
- 1 grams of sugar
For those who need a sweeter option, you can add a keto-sweetener like erythritol or stevia. For non-ketonians, feel free to add some maple syrup or organic honey.