Cream of Broccoli Soup has been a staple in my childhood home for as long as I can remember. It started out as puréed “green soup” so my little brother would eat it and eventually developed into broccoli cheese soup once he decided that broccoli was a yummy, but my mother still puréed it so that we wouldn’t know there were onions (shh!). To this day living on my own, I still purée my cream of broccoli soup. It is delicious!
Keto-Friendly Cream of Broccoli Soup
- 2-3 broccoli bunches (approx. 6 cups chopped)
- 3 cups vegetable broth
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1/4 cup butter
- 2 tablespoons of chopped onion (minced)
- 1 tablespoon ground white chia seeds
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- Boil the broccoli in the broth, covered, until cooked.
- Let cool slightly; enough to safely pour into blender.
- Blend until smooth and puréed.
- In the now-empty pot, add the butter and cook on medium the onions until limp (not browned!).
- Add the ground chia seeds and stir until a thin paste starts to form.
- Turn element to low, and pour the cream onto the paste.
- Stir constantly until cream begins to boil gently and starts to thicken.
- Return the broccoli puree to the pot and stir until the whole soup begins to bubble.
- Add the cheese and stir until blended.
Nutritional Stats & Variations
The ratios below are for the entire recipe (meant to serve 4), which means that each serving has only 4 grams of sugar (entirely from the veggies).
- 86 grams of protein (11%)
- 294 grams of healthy fats (83%)
- 50 grams of carbs (6%)
- 19 grams of fiber
- 16 grams of sugar
This vegetarian cream of broccoli soup can be made vegan by substituting the cream for coconut milk & butter for coconut oil, and omitting the cheese. For this keto-friendly recipe, I like use the Campbell’s chicken broth in a box to get a good dose of sodium and for added flavour. Go even more keto by omitting the onions and using homemade bone broth.