When I first started keto and they told me I couldn’t have fruit or pasta, knowing that I could still have my beloved alfredo and hollandaise sauce got me through the shock. I adapted the standard recipe to be even more keto, and it is devine!
Keto-Friendly Hollandaise Sauce
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon water
- 5 tablespoons of butter or 1/4 cup ghee
- salt & pepper to taste
- Microwave the butter and set aside.
- Separate the yolks into a glass or metal bowl.
- Add the water and lemon juice.
- Work together until mixed and slightly foamy.
- Put bowl over a pot with a small amount of simmering water (don’t let the bowl touch the water!).
- Wisk constantly until the egg yolks are slightly thicker, but before not to cook them into scrambled.
- Remove the milkfats from the butter to only have clarified butter left in the cup.
- Remove the bow from heat.
- Slowly incorporate the butter until the mixture is like a thick syrup.
Nutritional Stats & Variations
This recipe serves 1 hollandaise-loving ketonian, or 2 regular folk. Heck, you could even put a dollop on eggs Benedict and stretch it out to 8 bennies. Please know that even if your sauce ‘breaks’ and curdles, you can still eat it and it taste the same. I like to put this sauce over my veggies like asparagus or green beans, or paired with leaner meats like salmon to bring up my fat macro. I also like to cook the egg whites separately in a pan, and poor the hollandaise sauce over them. Yumm!
- 6 grams of protein (4%)
- 66.6 grams of healthy fats (95%)
- 1.2 grams of carbs (1%)
- 0.2 grams of sugar